About this project
The non-stop battle against lung cancer
Fighting lung cancer is a long and complicated road and requires the work of thousands and thousands of doctors and scientists working tirelessly against the illness.
AREAS OF WORK
The Ricky Rubio Foundation will increase activities about research, social awareness and prevention. The Foundation will also focus on trying to improve local hospital environments for patients and families. Ricky Rubio’s experience of were his mother died of lung cancer has woken him up to how important is to have medical checks regularly and the advantages to accessing new medical treatments and finally how to overcome a situation that suddenly can change your life and your family’s lives forever.
Making a path
“I am aware that to cure cancer is not in our hands, but we will contribute towards this objective and we will try to help people and families with a regular prevention we can save lives. The important thing now is the road to getting there” says Ricky.
What are we fighting against
- Lung cancer is the second most common cancer that affects men and women (without counting skin cancer)
- Predictions show that the numbers of new cases will likely rise 70% more in the next ten years, coming close to 24 million cases every year.
- Around 14% of all new cancers are lung cancer
- This year, 230,000 new lung cancer cases were diagnosed in The United States.
- In Spain, 27,000 new lung cancer cases were diagnosed.
- Lung cancer is the main cause of death in men and women: around one in four deaths are due to lung cancer.
- Every year more people died because of lung cancer rather than colon, breast or prostate cancer.
- Lung cancer mostly affects people in older ages. The majority of people that are diagnosed with cancer are 65 or older, though not many people are diagnosed with less than 45 years of age. The average age of lung cancer diagnosis falls around 70 years old.
- 80% of the patients are not diagnosed with lung cancer until the disease has already spread and it is too late for surgery.
- Campaigns to create awareness and inform the population
- Increase knowledge among the population about how to prevent and identify the symptoms of lung cancer.
- Selection and execution of actions, projects and collaborations that The Ricky Rubio Foundation will choose among the proposals that any organization in the area of awareness, fight and prevention of lung cancer will suggest us.